Re: Re WIT

Nick Arnett (nicka@mccmedia.com)
Thu, 9 Jun 1994 16:02:44 -0800

At 11:26 PM 6/9/94 +0200, Keith Shafer wrote:

>At some point, you hope that information gets filtered
>and condensed - not just organized and archived. So,
>how does one add this to functionality to a system like WIT?
>
>Organization is a very important first step towards
>filtering. But, I doubt that anyone will really
>want to read THIS EMAIL message ten years from now,
>even if it's part of a system like WIT:) So, how
>would it get filtered out?

Yesterday, I decided that I'm going to have some buttons that let people
vote on the importance of archiving messages. They might be:

* Not worth archiving

* Moderately worth archiving

* FAQ - definitely archive!

* Archive under a different topic

The last one is to alert me, the human, to look at the subject before archiving.

How's that sound? I'll see if I can implement this tonight... The
buttons, anyway. I'm not sure how fast I can wire the results into the
archiving mechanism.

This is a parallel processing solution. All of you work in parallel to
keep my archives in good shape... ;-) Oh, they're your archives, too.

By the way, I have uncovered yet another network problem here. I'm not
sure if it's my own net or my provider's, but it looks like ACKs are
getting lost before they get back here, which is causing timeouts on
anything that exceeds the TCP window size. I'm working on it, but you may
experience delays and incomplete transmissions until I find a cure.

Nick

Multimedia Computing Corp.
Campbell, California
"We are surrounded by insurmountable opportunity." -- Pogo