Re: Security (was Re: Style Sheets for HTML)

Jon P. Knight (J.P.Knight@lut.ac.uk)
Tue, 31 May 1994 09:07:09 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 31 May 1994, Marc VanHeyningen wrote:
> I think this problem pretty much goes away if you price your
> information appropriately and in small chunks. How much time would
> you waste searching for a old pirated copy of the Britanica entry on
> Uganda if you could get the authoritative, up-to-date entry from the
> source for only $1?

It depends where you come from, who you are and what you're doing. If
you're a relatively well off resident of a fully developed nation, $1
might well be much less than your time spent searching for the
information would cost. However, if you're poor, $1 might seem like an
awful lot and you're time would be effectively free in comparison, so
you'd probably hunt out the pirate copy. Also, say you wanted
information on all the countries in the world; then you $1/entry could turn
into a several hundred dollar query. Thats an awful lot of paper
encyclopedias.

Jon

Jon Knight, Research Student in High Performance Networking and Distributed
Systems in the Department of _Computer_Studies_ at Loughborough University.
* Its not how big your share is, its how much you share that's important. *