Re: Style Sheets for HTML

Rob Raisch, The Internet Company (raisch@internet.com)
Mon, 30 May 1994 10:44:31 -0700 (PDT)

Postscript is functionally a write-only medium. Once a document has been
instantiated in Postscript, little further interpretation is possible
without a full Postscript interpreter.

Consider a link within a PS document. Without a full PS intrepreter embedded
in each renderer, such a link is useless. In the simpliest instance, how
can I know the positioning of the link without rendering the entire page?

Once a document is expressed in HTML, there are lots of things I'd like to
and can do with it. Further intrepretation and manipulation of information
is the goal of any good information system, not only presentation.

The problem is richness of presentation AND the functionality of
non-linearly structured information.

-- </rr> Rob Raisch, The Internet Company