Re: Style Sheets for HTML

dkearns{TCNET/HR/dkearns}@klaven.tci.com
Tue, 24 May 94 14:32:00 -0600

>From: BRIAN @ SMTP (brian) {brian@bur.GEOG.UCSB.EDU}
>Date: Tuesday, May 24, 1994 2:21PM
>
>Hello,
>
>Part of the reason that the number of html documents has ballooned
>so much is that they are so simple to format. By restricting
>and/or complicating the formatting, you vastly reduce the number of
>people who are willing to learn the system and use it. The World
>Wide Web was designed to expand communication globally. Don't
>fuss that up by adding a bunch of fluff. There's a well known
>concept in business that works. It's called K.I.S.S. - Keep
>It Simple Stupid!

Hear! Hear!!

On the other hand, simple formatting (i.e., justification) makes sense.
Going to the level of fonts, would imply that a 1 kbyte HTML file would
balloon to something like a 100 kbyte postscript file. And then there's

If someone really, really feels the creative need to totally control fonts,
layout, color, etc. - create graphics files, not HTMLs.

-dave

dkearns@klaven.tci.com