Re: Auto-Download tags/function?

Tony Sanders (sanders@BSDI.COM)
Tue, 24 May 1994 10:21:42 -0500

HALLAM-BAKER Phillip writes:
> SYNTAX !!!
>
> scheme://host/dir/dir/dir/file;atts !!!!
>
> NO NO NO NO NO !!!!
>
> It breaks on any system with version numbers. The semicolon is used on
> most systems.
Then I guess the server will have to translate it to a local filename,
just like everyone else. The URL space has nothing to do with your local
filename space.

> Even if you arn't lucky enough to have VMS there are still lots of systems
> that have version numbers, code management systems for example.
>
> The scheme :-
>
> scheme://host:port/dir/dir/dir/file//atts
No, this will not work. / is a reserved character. You cannot depend
on // making it through a gateway.

> Does work however and is backward compatible. Since a null directory is
> never valid.
If it's never valid then why would you propose using it?

--sanders