Re: Queries on HTMLPLUS

Daniel W. Connolly (connolly@hal.com)
Tue, 17 May 1994 09:03:23 -0500

In message <9405171053.AA01079@fcpl.fcpl.ernet.in>, CVR Murthy writes:
>I have some queries on HTML+ :
>first of all, is there any latest Internet RFC standard for HTML+ ?
> (the latest I have is the Internet Draft Standard Oct'93)

Nothing has been "published" on this front for some time...
But there are documents online:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/MarkUp/HTMLPlus/htmlplus_1.html
(see also:
http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/drafts/htmlplus-comments.html )

And the rumors of the demise of HTML have been greatly exaggerated.
Expect to see a spec with wide support soon. Sorry I can't be more
specific, but you can consult my design notebook:

http://www.hal.com/%7Econnolly/drafts/html-design.html

which includes my working DTD and a test suite for HTML.

>secondly, is there any formal syntax (like BNF) defined for HTML+
> Markup language?

Nope. There's a DTD for HTML+, but there are also comments in the
spec that say that the DTD is not and _exact_ description of HTML+.

HTML will continue to be defined in strict compliance with SGML.
(How it's implemented is, of course, a different story... :-)

>thirdly, what is DTD and how can one use it to build parsers?

Welcome to SGML! Seriously... get the sgmls package and some
of the other goodies from:

ftp://ifi.uio.no/pub/SGML/

> and
>lastly, what is Pageless mode in HTMLPLUS?

Can't help you there... Dave?

Dan