Re: Various HTML questions

Rob Raisch, The Internet Company (raisch@internet.com)
Tue, 3 May 1994 08:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 3 May 1994 lilley@v5.cgu.mcc.ac.uk wrote:

> connolly@hal.com says:
>
> > Where does it say this in the spec? I don't think any HTML spec says
> >_exactly_ how HTML is to be rendered.
>
> Depends on how much emphasis you want to put on the exactly. True you will not
> find "render this heading in Palatino demiblog 14.7 point with 3 point leading
> and +4.7% kerning"

Well, if we supported style-sheets in documents, we could come close. (See:
http://gummo.stanford.edu/html/hypermail/.www-talk-1993q2.messages/443.html)

I'm pretty convinced that we will not be able to provide anything the
publisher really can use until we can offer them control over presentation.

Every publisher I have dog and ponied Mosaic to has loved it ... until I
resize the window or change the font -- at which point they run screaming
and shouting out the door, never to be seen again. (Well, not quite that
bad, but you get the idea.)

</rr>