Re: proxy support doesn't work for `file:...' URLs

Kevin Altis (altis@ibeam.jf.intel.com)
Sun, 1 May 1994 23:03:26 -0800

At 9:38 PM 5/1/94 -0700, Larry Masinter wrote:
>This seems a problem with all of the implementations:
>The file:... URL is used both for local files and remote ones.

file://localhost/path is not proxied at least by Lynx.
file://host.domain/path is treated just like ftp://host.domain/path. This
is how it should work in clients. I know that Win Mosaic does not handle
this case, so file:// references are currently broken in Win Mosaic.

I'm sure Lou will step in here to say more about clients...

ka