Re: revised html-mode.el

William M. Perry (wmperry@indiana.edu)
Wed, 20 Apr 94 10:18 EDT

>>>>> " " == michael shiplett <michael.shiplett@umich.edu> writes:

pp> ps.: While this message is motivated because I hate always having
pp> to choose between n packages for the same job, each of which
pp> supporting some handy/nice feature the others don't, I readily
pp> admit that this issue has (very?) low priority..
> I second Paolo's postscript.

> Adding to the please-merge-these-similar-packages discussion, I
> suggest incoporating/building from/looking at the html-helper-mode
> package by Nelson Minar. Html-helper-mode is based on html-mode and
> I've found it to be a significant improvement--my main gripe is that
> it doesn't support <P></P>...yet. I haven't seen hm--html-menus
> package.

I think everyone should standardize on psgml - the excellent SGML editing
mode by Lennart Stafflin. It actually understands a DTD and only lets you
insert contextually valid tags (unless you are absolutely sure and want to
enter them by hand). You will need a few sgml files (like ISOlat1, etc),
but this is a very general solution. The next time the DTD is updated, you
don't have to go and rewrite your entire HTML editing mode - you just
recompile the DTD and psgml is ready to go.

You can ftp a copy from ftp.cs.indiana.edu:/pub/elisp/w3/psgml.tar.gz -
or you can get it straight from ftp.lysator.liu.se:/pub/sgml

-Bill Perry