freeWAIS Multiformat type and WWW front end

Marc Andreessen (marca@eit.COM)
Mon, 4 Apr 1994 09:25:51 GMT

David Crossley writes:
> We do not store our metadata in text files but in an RDBMS. So we
> do not have any text files to index. As far as I can see the only
> solution is to run a cron job every few days to generate metadata
> text files from the RDBMS for each dataset and index these.
>
> Another solution may be to create a text file for each dataset of
> likely keywords, index these and then somehow intercept the query
> with either a WAIS server script or a WWW server script. Does
> anyone know if this would be possible?

The latter should be possible if you're going through a sufficiently
smart and customized WAIS/WWW gateway. In other words, the gateway
has to be smart enough to map WAIS search hits to some representation
of files in the RDBMS; a parallel WWW script would then need to be
able to reach inside the database upon receiving a query for such a
representation. I think that's how it would work...

> I know that Mosaic for X-windows version 2.x clients support this
> multiformat type. Do any other clients?
> Do any WAIS clients support this multiformat type so that non-WWW access
> can be provided?

I know xwais does. I don't believe any other WWW clients do, but I
could easily be wrong. (Any WWW client that has direct WAIS support
and uses Mosaic's libwww2 should be able to handle it.)

> Enventually we will have to look at some user authentication aspects
> because some of these datasets will be restricted. Can someone please
> suggest some starting points to investigate this?

WWW currently provides "iffy" user authentication (passwords are sent
over the network uuencoded but not encrypted). See:

http://wintermute.ncsa.uiuc.edu:8080/auth-tutorial/tutorial.html

You can use this if you're always going through a WAIS/WWW gateway.

I'm not sure what the various versions of WAIS support along these
lines.

> This obviously has amazing potential. Anyone interested in this would
> do well to look at Marc Andreesen's 'Mosaic And WAIS Tutorial' at
> http://wintermute.ncsa.uiuc.edu:8080/wais-tutorial/wais.html
> Thanks for the tips Marc.

Glad they're useful!

Cheers,