Re: The future of meta-indices/libraries?

neuss@igd.fhg.de
Tue, 15 Mar 1994 17:06:34 --100

Hiyall,

Bjoern Stabell (bjoerns@staff.cs.uit.no) writes:
> The main problem for many users of WWW today is that they cannot
> locate the information they are searching for.
[munch]

> The problem is, these meta-libraries require much work to be kept
> up-to-date (and so, they usually aren't very up-to-date at all)
> and there are so many of them; resulting in most meta-libraries
> keeping a list of other meta-libraries.

True 'nuff.. what we need is an archie like mechanism which allows
for doing world wide searches on a specific topic. We are currently
working on a CGI interface which allows doing conceptual searches
on WWW archives. If you use a spider program to walk the web, or an
mechanism close to archie, you could do a _world wide_
"show me all documents dealing with foobar"
and get back a clickable list of world wide URLs!

That'd be kinda cool, wouldn't it.. ;-)

Chris

---
"I ride a tandem with the random.."
Christian Neuss   # Fraunhofer Institute for Computer Graphics
Wilhelminenstr.7  #  64283 Darmstadt # Germany
e-mail: neuss@igd.fhg.de  finger: neuss@wildturkey.igd.fhg.de

Chris