Re: Idea for new form input type

Liam Relihan (relihanl@ul.ie)
Fri, 18 Feb 1994 12:36:41 --100

> Lou Montulli writes:
>
> I have an suggestion for a new form input type that I would
> like to input on.
>
> In order to support the posting of large files using form based
> machanisms I suggest that a new input type "include-file" (or
> something similar) be added. This new type would be a file
> that exists on the local machine whose data would be posted
> to the forms server during form submission. This method
> would require the file to be posted using a MIME multipart
> message.
>
> The reasons this will be useful are as follows:
> * large text files can be sent without having to cut and paste
> them into a textarea window as they are now.
> * no memory limits on the size of the file. (currently all input
> data is held in memory)
> * arbitrary binary files can be sent

It could be dodgy if a form had some kind of a "hidden" field pointing to a
default, eg. something like /etc/password (or something else sensitive).
Imagine, that in the middle of a massive form, a little file specification
field existed specifying a file as a default.

Would default filenames be allowed ?

Maybe I'm being a little paranoid.

I agree, however, that it is a good idea.

Liam

--
 Liam Relihan,                 |   |\       Voice: +353-61-333644 ext.5015
 CSIS, Schumann Building,   -  |   |_/  -               Fax:+353-61-330876