Re: Timezones

Craig Milo Rogers (rogers@ISI.EDU)
Wed, 9 Feb 1994 20:40:02 --100

>> But I do need to know exactly how the timezone info should appear
>> in log file (if it is necessary):
>I believe it must be: +/-NNNN (e.g., -0600).
>This is the only hope for being able to make sense of the timezone info.

Yes, there are regions for which local time is offset by n
hours and 30 minutes, or n hours and 15 minutes.

There have been *extensive* discussions about representing
time in the header-people mailing list over the years. There is an
international standard! For example, RFC1505 specifies:

DD Mon YYYY HH:MM:SS.FFFFFF [+-]HHMMSS

I don't like this for log files, because it's harder to sample
and sort than something simple like:

YYYYMMDD.HHMMSS.FFFFFF+-HHMMSS (with appropriate fields optional,
etc.)

Craig Milo Rogers