Re: Inlined image format

David C. Martin (dcmartin@library.ucsf.edu)
Mon, 24 Jan 1994 16:12:43 PST

Regardless of format, sometimes you have information in format A and due
to limits on computation and/or storage you can only deliver it in that
format. Additional formats are not bad and it is only the design
limitations of Mosaic that make supporting more formats problematic.

dcm
--------
Jon E. Mittelhauser writes:

At 11:56 AM 1/24/94 -0800, Christopher McRae wrote:
>Pini Albilia writes:
>> Is there a way to include Inlined image not in gif format?
>
> There used to be a patch for Xmosaic which allowed for inlining TIFF
>images. The work was done by Cheong Ang at UCSF. I think you should be
>able to get it via ftp to ftp.library.ucsf.edu. If you're interested in
>using some other image format, you might look at Cheong's code as an
>example of how to modify Xmosaic.

The advantage to using Gifs, however, is that the document will be viewable
in all browsers that support inlined images. If you add a new format, the
document will only be viewble by a very limited set of people...

At least in terms of Mosaic, we have currently only agreed to support gifs
and xbms on all three platforms...

-Jon

---
Jon E. Mittelhauser (jonm@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Research Programmer, NCSA                          (NCSA Mosaic for MS Windows)
More info <a href="http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/People/jonm/jonm.html">here</a>