Re: Rough Draft -- "Good HTML Composition" document

James (jtilton@jupiter.willamette.edu)
Mon, 10 Jan 1994 13:27:29 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 10 Jan 1994, Kevin Altis wrote:

> Good stuff. The only thing I'm not sure about is the comments <!--...-->.
> Do all clients support this now? At one point, the ability to do comments
> went away and I haven't used them since, but would like to.

Good question -- X Mosaic and Lynx seem to, at least, but I'm not sure
about the other browsers (Mac Mosaic is the only other browser I have
access to). One meme that was floating around was that, to date, comments
start with the "<!--", but can end with ">". From what I understand of
SGML, the comment is technically really the bits between "--" and "--",
anywhere within a "<!.........>" (don't you love my command of the jargon?
:). Can anyone comment on whether there is there any plan to make (at
least) the terminator for a comment "-->", so that we can comment out HTML
code?

-et