lookie lookie, someone else just joined the party

Jason B. Bluming (jbluming@yoyo.eit.COM)
Thu, 28 Oct 1993 10:21:56 -0700

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 93 07:16:57 -0800
From: Irene Zagazeta <zagazeta@sumex-aim.Stanford.EDU>
To: mis-colloquia@sumex-aim.stanford.edu
Subject: 11/4-Med.Info.Colloq.:Tom Rindfleisch-(SSRG/KSL):World-Wide Web

***** Medical Informatics Colloquium *****

SPEAKER: Tom Rindfleisch, Section on Medical Information
Director of Symbolic Systems Resources Group (SSRG)
and Knowledge Systems Laboratory (KSL)

DATE November 4th, 1993 (Thursday)
TIME: 3:00pm to 4:00pm

LOCATION: Medical School Office Building (MSOB x275)
Stanford University School of Medicine

TITLE: World-Wide Web -- What, Why, & Wow?

ABSTRACT:
The exponential growth of the Internet in recent years has made it more and
more difficult to find precisely the information needed for a particular task.
The number of places to look has increased, the amount of material on-line at
each place has increased, and the diversity of document types (including video
and sound) and access schemes has increased. Whereas good old FTP (File
Transfer Protocol) has done yeoman service for over 20 years -- since the age
of hackers -- and still dominates Internet traffic, several efforts to better
integrate distributed information browsing and retrieval with modern
human-computer interfaces have been underway in recent years. These include
WAIS (Wide-Area Information Service), Gopher, Archie, Veronica, and WWW
(World-Wide Web). Of these efforts, WWW, developed within the high-energy
physics community, arguably has the best underlying systems design in terms of
generality, openness, extensibility, and conceptual clarity. WWW subsumes the
other services mentioned above (and more) and there are even WWW client and
server implementations available that work.

The first part of this talk will give an overview of the current state of WWW
- -- what it does, how it works, what remains to be done, and what its
implications might be for our work. I will describe the three protocols that
make up the core of WWW -- the uniform resource locating scheme (URL), the
hypertext transfer protocol (HTTP), and the SGML-based hypertext markup
language (HTML) -- and how WWW interfaces with other information access
protocols and resources. The last part of the talk will be a live demo of WWW,
including work done within the KSL to experiment with and enhance WWW for
making information from our laboratory accessible.

------- End of Forwarded Message