Re: request for new forms submission consensus

Marc Andreessen (marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Mon, 11 Oct 93 17:36:25 -0700

Tony Sanders writes:
> > How about, then, <FORM ACTION="POST http://www.bsdi.com/hyplan/sanders.html">
> I would just say that forms always get POST'ed, why would you ever need
> some other method?

Because it offers flexibility -- slapping query information into the
URL is simple and will often be useful and easier to prototype for.

> > Looks good, except -- is Content-Length to be required? (And if so, why?)
> Because you need to know where the end of the message is, the client
> can't close the connection until it gets back a reply. You either
> need a Content-Length: or you can use a message boundary by encoding
> a multipart:

Duh. I'm apparently dropping IQ points left and right...

Marc