Re: URL paper final edits

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@www3.cern.ch)
Mon, 11 Oct 93 12:20:33 +0100

>From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
>Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1993 15:20:18 PDT
>
>mailto: followed by an internet address isn't adequate to reference
>document objects that require more text to be sent to an external
mail
>server. I'm thinking of those things that you can call out with
>access-type=mail-server
>
>where there is a 'phantom body'.
>
>Is this a totally different kind of URL?

Yes. It does not represent a document to be RETRIEVED
by mail (mail is not a retrieval protocol _really_).
The URL represents the mail address.
Sending a message to a mail address is the equivalent
function to posting an article to a newsgroup, or linking
an annotation to a document. There is a new object created
and an association made with an existing object.
A minor difference is that you can't read a mail address,
though you can read a newsgroup or an annotated document.

In fact, of copurse, a good client can do quite a lot to
_represent_ the mail address, with some kind of
icon and perhaps a list of messages the user has in her
some mailboxes which were from or to that mail address.

A current implementation (Cello) puts up a window
for writing messages to the mail address.

Tim