Re: c.i.w3 instead of mailing list

Lou Montulli (montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu)
Fri, 8 Oct 93 12:46:54 CDT

> I have much better tools for handling mail than news, so I'd like it to
> be kept in news. In addition, news encourages mindless asides from
> bored undergraduates to a much greater extent than mailing lists do,
> because you actually have to take some action to be added to a mailing
> list; nice little energy gradient that seems to keep out more of the
> information-empty.
>
> Bill

I agree. I also like the fact that I recieve mail about 5000 times
faster than news. It can take up to a day for a news message to
get around and sometimes longer.

I think the solution it to fix the listserv software. I'm probably
opening myself up to all kinds of problems but I'll volunteer
our listserv for the purpose. Or Tim could put up a listserv on
his AIX machine which will work much more reliably than whatever is
going now.

:lou

  *           T H E   U N I V E R S I T Y   O F   K A N S A S              *
  *         Lou  MONTULLI @ Ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu                           *
  *                         Kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      ACS Computing Services *
  *     913/864-0436        Ukanvax.bitnet             Lawrence, KS 66044  *
  *             UNIX! Cool! I know that!  Jurassic Park - The Movie        *