Re: Access Authorization

Reinier Post (reinpost@info.win.tue.nl)
Mon, 20 Sep 1993 10:47:34 +0200 (MET DST)

Larry Masinter wrote:

>If you just want to keep honest people out, then don't hack up the
>protocol just to do it -- it isn't necessary. All you need is to put
>the web under some directory /secret/ and add a 'query' page where you
>have to type in 'secret' in order to get access to those files.
>
>Actually, what is probably more effective and simpler is to add a
><H1>PRIVATE: This information is for use of members of the FOO project
>Only. All other use is unauthorized.</H1>.

In addition, some scheme must be invented to work with automatic indexers
and search facilities. In my average Gopher session, I find more items
with Veronica than I find items by stepwise link following. With the
advent of similar techniques for the W3, items will often be read
by users who have no idea what path was followed to get there.

See also the recent discussion on Veronica indexing in comp.infosystems.www.

--
Reinier Post						 reinpost@win.tue.nl
a.k.a. <A HREF="http://www.win.tue.nl/persons/reinier/reinier.E.html">me</A>