Re: Imcompatible HTTP/1.0 on different severs

Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl
Fri, 16 Jul 1993 09:31:53 +0200

Tim BL writes:

> Two qustions here. One is standardisation of types -- I'm
> not going to talk about except to say that if MIME are
> too restrictive we can *define* HTTP types to be mime
> types OR http types whcih are registered separately. No
> sweat.

At the IIIR working group I learned that the MIME type registry is now
open to register many more types than was originally intended --
apparently some Gopher people had the same idea and convinced some
people it was useful. I don't know exactly what the rules are but it
should be possible to register any type for which you want a
standardized name.

--Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam <Guido.van.Rossum@cwi.nl>