Gateways: was: URL routing

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@www3.cern.ch)
Thu, 8 Jul 93 15:31:10 +0200

WWW clients can be set to redirect requests to a
gateway using

setenv WWW_http_GATEWAY gw.here.com
setenv WWW_wais_GATEWAY gw.here.com
setenv WWW_gopher_GATEWAY gw.here.com

setting it separately for each type of URL.
They then use http to go to the gateway, which returns
whatever document/search it was they wanted.

The client can in fact run with a rule file instead of
the environment variables,
which allows more complicated selections to be set up.

The CERN WWW server (httpd) will run as a gateway
just by being configured correctly. The config
file needs lines like for example

pass http:*
pass wais:*
pass gopher:*
fail news:alt.*
pass news:*

The gateway can at the same time be a server
for files, by putting in lines like

pass http://gw.here.com/* file:/pub/*
pass /* file:/pub/*

There are lots of alternatives.
It all comes out in the wash if the system is
sufficiently modular in the first place.

Tim BL

Begin forwarded message: