Re: searchable index of the web

Marc Andreessen (marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Wed, 30 Jun 93 17:16:14 -0500

Tony Sanders writes:
> I was shocked to see how few home pages I've visted. I really need to
> get out more often :-) Then I noticed that they all have the :port
> which mans it's not the same. Marc, when doing annotations and
> checking the "visited" list maybe you should ignore :80 on http:
> servers?

Yup. And 70 for Gopher servers. And WAIS gateways should be
equivalenced. And trailing periods in machine names should be
ignored. And trailing slashes in directory names. And...

Big problem; hopefully solved by URN's; planning on patching the hell
out of libwww2 for Mosaic 2.0 to try to do as much as possible though.

> We need to do something anyway. With annotations you can get really
> lost in the Web.
>
> --sanders

Cheers,
Marc