Re: Suggestion for a new URL type

Marc Andreessen (marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Sat, 26 Jun 93 17:31:20 -0500

Rob Raisch writes:
> If a dedicated cracker wishes to break the system, I would suggest
> that writing an HTML document, and using that as a lock pick on
> doors which have no locks to begin with, would be a marvelous
> exercise in stupidity.

This is true in and of itself. However, the true danger is that this
is would be a remarkably efficient way to trick other people into
doing things not in their best interest (as Marc VH points out) and
therefore I think this is a bad road to travel down. Let's keep such
functionality on the server/gateway side; it is easy enough to write
gateways as it is (and in fact it would be trivial to write a gateway
to accomplish exactly the functionality Rob describes).

Marc