Re: #WWW on IRC

Lou Montulli (montulli@stat1.cc.ukans.edu)
Thu, 24 Jun 93 18:07:55 CDT

> What I thought would be really valuable is a WWW developers (possibly
> and users) BBS, telnettable to. That way the conversation could be
> subdivided into topics (``boards'' for Clients, Mosaic, Servers, CERN
> Code, WAIS, Getting Started, SGML-flamage, &c.). The site to set this
> up would need to be well connected, though (hint hint :-).
>
> A problem I find with the mailing list is that *everything* is here,
> which is not necessarily a good thing :). I delete more than I read,
> and it takes a while for the mail to get through.
>
> As an interim idea, why not use IRC to communicate informally? I'll
> join #WWW on IRC whenever I'm on, and if there's sufficient interest,
> I'll look into writing a 'bot to serve files, maybe even access the
> web. Someone with a less crappy connection to the backbone might be
> able to run the 'bot if it gets going.
>
> Feedback? Abuse? See you on IRC?
>
> Nat.

NO No No No NO! Sub-division of the list maybe, but IRC NEVER!
Couldn't we come up with a Web based solution for this? After all
we are writing Web clients!

:lou
-BTW don't you think that the time differences between our continents
might be a problem for live discussions. Oh yeah, I forgot, developers
work 24 hours a day, who has time to sleep :-)

  *           T H E   U N I V E R S I T Y   O F   K A N S A S              *
  *         Lou  MONTULLI @ Ukanaix.cc.ukans.edu                           *
  *                         Kuhub.cc.ukans.edu      ACS Computing Services *
  *     913/864-0436        Ukanvax.bitnet             Lawrence, KS 66044  *
  *             UNIX! Cool! I know that!  Jurassic Park - The Movie        *