Re: More than just HTML (was Re: Poetry and Maths)

Jay Weber (weber@eitech.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1993 10:58:22 -0800

At 03:05 PM 6/1/93 BST, Dave_Raggett wrote:
>>> The embedded data can
>>> be sent along with the main document using MIME's multipart capability.
>
>> How do you plan on doing this in HTML+? Sounds like the first part
>> will be text/html, where the anchors reference other parts. The reference
>> can be done by defining a URL access type of "part", e.g. HREF=part:XXX
>> where XXX is a Content-id.
>
>I think that the HREFs should use the standard URL for the document, and the
>MIME subheader for the image (or whatever) should include a field specifying
>the URL for the subpart, e.g.
>
> Source: http://info.cern.ch/hyptext/WWW/lep.jpg

Good idea, this is much better than a "part" access type.

>The current spec for the HTTP doesn't give a suitable field, although
>Message-id is a near miss (defined according to RFC 850).

Is it a near-miss because of special characters? I.e., the content-id
of a part uses the same syntax as a message-id, which must be

"<" local-part "@" domain ">"

The local-part is just a dot-separated series of words which must be
unique for that domain. So if the entire content-id is not suitable
as a field in an URL, we can just use the local-part; it will still
be straightforward for the server to resolve which MIME-part is being
addressed.

Jay Weber
EIT