forwarded... [Explicit Linking is Impossible]

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl@www3.cern.ch)
Thu, 6 May 93 18:59:40 +0100

> Date: Wed, 5 May 1993 23:24:26 +0200
> From: aronsson@lysator.liu.se

> [..] If the destination document is maintained by someone else, he
> should be notified that I have a link going there, so he doesn't
> rename or reorganize his document without notifying me again.

In HTTP there is another SBNIBAYAFAIK feature that the client can
quote the "referee" (ie link source) when following a link. The
features is designed to allow backward links to be built up as the
forward links are followed.

> Date: Thu, 6 May 1993 01:21:40 +0200
> From: aronsson@lysator.liu.se

> What exactly does "pre-load a search" mean, and how do I implement
> this in an HTML document?

If there exists an index which covers the area (like if I got around
to WAIS-idnexing all of that, you would quote something like

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext?style

and point the reader at the results of a wais serach for style in
the database.

> What if Tim and his WWW service moves from CERN to a new place?
What
> if Tim decides to rename "WWW/Provider/Style" to "WWWSTYLE.DIR"?

A big difference between the http deamon and the ftp daemon
is the document name to filename mapping. Though I wish
I had named the documents "/InformationSystems..." rather
than "/hypertext", I won't change the document names even
if I move the files. I will write a server which maps the
document names into their new places. In fact, already you are
spared making references to
"/Net/dxcern/userd/timbl/hypertext..." thanks to the
mapping. Look at the mapping as a local name server so that
within the server the path is in fact a name not an address.

[Of course filenames aren't addresses either. I wouldn't like
to have to count how many mappings occur before we get to
the disk track/sector/cylinder numbers.]

> If someone can pull this rug, why should I stand on it?

If I want to, I cn turn the server off. But I don't want to.
It is in my interests to maintain the pointers.

> I would be happier to refer to an ISBN number, because then I only
> specify the publisher, and not the library where I found the book,
and
> there would be an organization for registering new ISBN numbers
that
> would stop an author from changing a documents name.

Have you joined uri@bunyip.com to talk about naming and addressing
of document resources? If not, you might like to. Mail uri-request
of course not the list.

Tim