Re: Upgraded 2.0 sources. Please upgrade servers.

joe@athena.mit.edu (bloemer@tnt.uni-hannover.dbp.de)
17 Mar 93 11:38

RFC-822-HEADERS:
Cc: bloemer

==================

> From timbl@www3.cern.ch Tue Mar 16 17:18:43 1993
> From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@www3.cern.ch>
> To: www-talk@nxoc01.cern.ch
> Subject: Upgraded 2.0 sources. Please upgrade servers.
> There is a back-compatibility problem with HTTP, in that some old
> servers are messed up by the new protocol. I think this is pre 0.9a
> servers, which do not ignore the third word on the command line.
> Servers based on csh etc should be OK, as is the 0.9b server.
> This is unfortunate, and means we have to do round upgrading servers
> before upgrading clients. I would recommend that servers be updated
> as soon as possible. The new httpd is running on info.cern.ch and
> doesn't seem to have upset anyone yet after the first 40k
> transactions. I would now class the 2.0 server code as beta.

1. I just got a problem with your new httpd on info.cern.ch.

When I tried to access the file:

http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Tools/HTMLGeneration/fix-html.pl

with xmosaic 0.10, I got the following error message:

HTFormat: Sorry, can't convert from application/binary to www/present.

The line-mode browser www 1.3a produced the same error message.

With www 2.0 an empty page were produced.

After that I tried to use the new binary transfer mode feature of mosaic.
The result was a file with the above error message.

The same problem occured with other files referenced from:
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Tools/HTMLGeneration/Overview.html
for example: text2html.sed

2. Is it possible to get the files referenced from:
http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/Tools/HTMLGeneration/Overview.html
via ftp ?

Or can someone put the files on info.cern.ch under /WWW/dev ?

Arnold

Dipl.-Ing. Arnold Bloemer Universitaet Hannover
Institut fuer Theoretische Nachrichtentechnik
und Informationsverarbeitung
bloemer@tnt.uni-hannover.de Appelstrasse 9A
fax: +49-511-762-5333 D-3000 Hannover 1
phone: +49-511-762-5320 Germany