Re: xmosaic experience

Marc Andreessen (marca@ncsa.uiuc.edu)
Thu, 25 Feb 93 19:14:31 -0800

Bill Janssen writes:
> I finally looked at the X11R5 server source, and you're absolutely
> right, the server is not allocating more than a screen-size of pixmap
> for any one window, even a very big one. Most of that time I was
> looking at must have been spent parsing (but then why did `ps' show it
> in the server?).

Because the Widget uses XTextExtents to figure out how big text chunks
are (which makes sense, since they could be in any font). Like I say,
this should be faster in 0.9, since it won't have to do so much
parsing, since I will be handling plaintext documents correctly, since
annotation links will be handled separately from the document text
itself. I think.

Marc