Re: page break in HTML

Tim Berners-Lee (timbl)
Thu, 15 Oct 92 15:23:13 MET

> From: Jim Davis <davis@dri.cornell.edu>
> I would like to be able to keep multiple topics in a single file
> (cross referenced by anchors of course) and also guarentee that the
> user does not see material from the next subject. I use Viola with
> WWW, and it's distracting to see irrelevant material on the same
page
> of the window.

Do you really need them in a single document? Within a document, the
user metaphor is a scrollable area. The user often has a choice of
window size on that area. It is unwise to make assumptions about
that.

I think you are looking for page jumps, and so logically what you
wnat is a set of documents. Now you could of course store these in
one file and write a little server script which would extract the
documents from the file. (Note distinction between "document" = unit
of data carried over the net per fetch, and "file" which is a concept
local to the server.

This is what Mike Sendall has done with his STING glossary, for
example (I think).

It would also be neat for mailbox files.

Tim BL