Changing NNTP servers on the fly.

Edward Vielmetti (emv@msen.com)
Mon, 30 Mar 92 23:39:50 -0500

I have a CD-ROM (Netnews/CD from Sterling Software) that has a big
pile of news in it -- and I'd like to support reasonable access to
it via WWW. However; the current support for NNTP reading in WWW
assumes that there's a single NNTP server through which all
"news:" access will go, so it's not straightforward to support
a second system which might have an alternative access to a news spool.

I'd suggest extending the syntax to read as follows
news:comp.sys.foo comp.sys.foo on default system
news://nntp.archive.msen.com/comp.sys.foo nntp.archive.msen.com
news://nntp.archive.msen.com:1990/comp.sys.foo (on port 1990)
with similar extensions for referencing individual articles.

--Ed