Drupal SEO Tutorial Update
J. Cohen - Thu, 2008-05-08
This Drupal SEO tutorial [http://tips.webdesign10.com/basic-drupal-seo-on-site-optimization]
was written about 1 1/2 years ago and was getting badly outdated, so I updated it.
I'll organize it better when I have time, but at least wanted to have it be current.
In a nutshell:
- Enable Clean URLs
- Enable Path Module
- Install and enable Pathauto Module
- Configure Pathauto Module so that it doesn't change your URLs on your when
you change the title of a node
- Install the Global Redirect Module which will remove trailing slashes on
URLs and redirect URLs to their URL aliases.
- Install the Meta Tags Module.
- Install the Page Title Module
- Do NOT install the Drupal Sitemap Module.
- Fix .htaccess to redirect to "www" or remove the "www" subdomain.
- Fix your theme's HTML headers -- many themes don't do this correctly.
- Make sure you don't have PHP session IDs in the URLs (I haven't seen this
problem on Drupal sites in a long time).
- Fix your robots.txt file. The default robots.txt file still has serious
problems in Drupal 6.
- Watch out for contributed modules that create extra bad URLs and block them
Hope that is useful as a starting point...
Let me know if I missed anything or if you disagree...